Six usefull things to consider when visiting Magnesia – Volos – Pelion
Tips and useful information about travelling in Pelion, what to call in case of emergency, and more on Pelions’s official tourism portal.
- Pelion is still pretty virgin territory it does not have the touristic infrastructure of more established areas. Money exchange and ATMs can be hard to find away from Volos (so take a good supply of Euros with you from the ATMs in Volos), the bus service is limited and English not universally spoken.
- We recommend a pre-book rental car, especially for those choosing to stay in the smaller, more remote villages in the East, West and South Pelion (i.e. those other than Agios Ioannis, Zagora and Afissos).
- If you don’t mind some very winding roads, it would be a pity not to discover the whole of Pelion. Even Meteora and the Sporades Islands are very close. You have it all around you!
- In West and Central Pelion public transport has a better frequency and reach. There it possible without hiring a car. See below Transportations in Pelion.
- Most airlines fly to Volos (VOL), Nea Anchialos airport in the period May to September though there are some exceptions. Please check with your airline the time table when you take the decision to fly to Volos (VOL), Nea Anchialos airport. The next nearest airport is Thessaloniki, Makedonia (SKG) with flifghts all year through. Athens, Eleftherios Venizelos (ATH) is further away with also flights all year through. See Access by Air.
- All places you want to visit are relatively close, but on the mountain is taking longer to cross a certain distance. On your way you have the most wonderful views, ancient villages, wonderful authentic mansions on mountainsides, crystal blue bays and one can identify even the Holy Mountain Athos in distance, when the weather is quite transparent
Transportations in Pelion
Transportations In Magnesia – Volos – Pelion
Starting from Volos, the buses of KTEL Magnesia have routes to almost all the villages of Pelion, with stops near the main squares of the settlements, as well as to the most famous beaches.
KTEL (Bus Station)
+30 2421033257, +302421025527
TRAIN OSE (Greek Organisation Trainservices)
+30 2421024056, +30 2421039723, 1110 (For all of Greece)
Volos (VOL), Nea Anchialos Airport
+30 2421038888, +30 2421028888
Volos: +30 2421027777
In Pelion there is no taxi rank. Taxis can be mainly found in the central villages of Pelion, as long as you contact the drivers to pick you up from where you are and take you to nearby destinations. (Agios Ioannis: tel. +30 6946 008 968, Agria: tel. +30 92 502 24280, Argalasti: tel. +30 54 240 24230, Zagora: tel. +30 24260 22555, Kala Nera: tel. +30 24230 22100, Tsagarada tel. +30 24260 49204).
Shops opening hours:
Monday, Wednesday, Saturday: 08:30-14:00
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 08:30-14:00, 17:00-20:30
Useful Telephone Numbers
Pharmacies, Hospitals, Doctors on Duty in Pelion
14944: In case of emergency, small accident, or if you need a pharmacy, a hospital or a doctor, call 14944 to get information on the services you need (charge: €0.50/min).
Argalasti Health Centre
+30 2423350010 (charge: €0.03/min)
Kala Nera Clinic
+30 2423086666 (charge: €0.03/min)
Portaria Rural Clinic
+30 2428099106 (charge: €0.03/min)
Zagora Health Centre
+30 2426022222 (charge: €0.03/min)
Municipality of Volos
+30 2421350100 (charge: €0.03/min)
Municipality of South Pelion
+30 2423054990 (charge: €0.03/min)
Municipality of Zagora-Mouresi
+30 2426350103 (charge: €0.03/min)
Agios Ioannis Port
+30 2426031188 (charge: €0.03/min)
Department of Tourism, Regional Unit of Magnesia & Sporades
+30 2421070932, +30 2421075341
Selected Holidays in Pelion
Customize your holiday
On the website there are some suggestions for trips. In addition to this you may already have your own wishes and ideas, or perhaps not at all. With our local knowledge we may well optimize your ideas with you to create the trip of your dreams. Well thought-out itineraries, locations and then arranged everything to perfection. If you are traveling alone, as a couple, with a group or as a family, tell us your ideas and wishes, personally, via Skype or telephone, just when it suits you best.
Pelion Paradise, summer residence of the Olympian Gods
- Enjoy our knowledge of Pelion
- We focus on authentic places only
- We partner with local providers
- We'll arrange everything for you
Luxury villas, hotels and apartments
Book your dream holiday in Pelion. We offer different ranges of luxury accommodations. From a simple hotel to the most beautiful villa you have ever seen.Keep reading
Read more about everything Pelion has to offer: Discover Pelion